November 3, 2011

Thankfulness, Part 3

When I was in graduate school, I had a professor who grew up in Ghana. He took a few moments of our class time once to explain how the education system works there.
In Ghana, only children whose parents can pay for their education are allowed to go to school. When a child turns 12, he takes the test. I know that in our current educational situation here in the U.S., THE TEST means whatever standardized test the teacher is required to give that year and have every student pass, regardless of circumstances, in order to keep his or her good standing as an educator. That's not what it means in Ghana.
The test is what determines whether or not a child is allowed to continue his education. If the student passes the test, he is allowed to return to school. If not, the child is put to work and the government chooses his job. The jobs given to these children are on the bottom rung, and that is the person's job for life.
The process is repeated three times before the child is an adult. The jobs assigned improve slightly with each test, but it always works the same way.

College? Ha! Only if the child's parents are very, very rich. We're talking royalty rich.

Did you notice I only used male pronouns? Yeah. Girls are not allowed to be educated at all.

So, today, I'd like to give thanks for my education.
I was not only allowed, but required by law to be educated for at least 11 years. Yes, I whined and complained just like every other kid about going to school and doing homework. But, what a gift! I can read and think for myself and make my own choices. How many people in the world would love to have that chance??

My gender makes no difference. We may have different degrees, but I have as much education as my husband and no one told me not to. I chose to be a teacher. No one chose that for me.

Sometimes, I feel guilty because I have had the opportunity to acquire as much education as I want, and I still want more. I mean, there are girls who can't lawfully even read their own names, and I'm pouting because I don't have a Ph.D. or because I'd like to finish what I started in seminary. (Yes, CTS friends who read this. You told me so. Another post.) Whine, whine, whine.

Thank you, God, for the opportunity to be educated and do something with my life. I pray that I never take this gift for granted.

No comments: