November 27, 2011

Thankfulness, Part 27

I'm thankful for the season of Advent.

I love this time of anticipation of the coming Christ. I love everything from the candles to the month-long series of carols being sung at church to the feeling that something wonderful is about to happen.

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. These are the values we want our children to have.

I've said this before, but I can't say it emphatically enough. We do not want to raise our children with the idea that Christmas is all about the gimmes. It's about hope, love, joy, and peace - all those wonderful gifts that Christ brought with him to Bethlehem and the whole world.

Presents? Sure! But, Advent first. Anticipate the incredible mystery that is the birth of our Savior first, and then receive.

No comments: