October 17, 2009

"Must Haves"

I've been reading a lot of magazines over the past few months, particularly those related to pregnancy and parenting. They're usually found in doctor's office waiting rooms, hair and nail salons, lobbies of various buildings, etc. I've been intrigued by what I've read and frankly, I'm amazed that any human being has survived childhood so far. Who knew there were so many things that a mom MUST HAVE before and after her child is born?

For instance, did you know that you will not survive parenthood without a decorative cover for baby wipes to keep in your designer diaper bag? Or that if you do not have in your possession at all times, a $40 plastic bag in which to keep a change of clothes, you are a terrible mother?

It gets worse. Infants, apparently, need lavender scented lip balm in order to develop properly. They also cannot function as normal children unless all their senses are stimulated by flashing lights and a medley of sounds 24 hours a day, even as they sleep.  And, does a bib that costs more than more than a small kitchen appliance really help ward off food spills better than a bib from Target? Really?? Yes, I have seen those labeled MUST HAVE, as well.

Thank goodness I have a close group of friends who are mommies, who tell me what the real "MUST HAVES" are.  They suggest a loving husband, supportive friends, and a willingness to go with the flow. Oh, and diapers. This little girl is already so loved by so many, and isn't that the most important need that should be met?

So, thanks for your advice, pregnancy magazines, but I think our needs are being met even though I don't have a decorative baby wipe cover. But, I did take your advice on one thing. I do have a birth plan. I plan to give birth to a baby girl named Madeline Grace and to love her for the rest of my life. How's that for a MUST HAVE?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Sounds to me that you are already a top notch mommy!