November 9, 2012

Observations Made at Disney World

First, I'll reflect on some things I already knew, but confirmed while on vacation.
1. My children are fabulous.
2. I have the best husband in the world.
3. I don't like being hot.
4. I love creme brulee.

Now that we've established those facts, let's move on to some things I observed while in Orlando. You should probably know that Disney World was hosting something called "Jersey Week," during which New Jersey residents flock to the Magic Kingdom for reasons that Dan explained to me, and I promptly forgot.
Anyway, that brings me to my first observation. This:
...is not just a stereotype. It's real! I really saw women dressed this way, with this hair, with high heels and shorts, walking around Disney World. I thought it was all just for TV. I've never actually been to New Jersey. I've driven through it, but I never stopped. One of my favorite former students is from NJ, and I never got this from her.

Next, with so many New Jerseyans (Jerseyites?) I had the chance to observe something else. Actually, this could fall under the heading of things I already knew, but it still astounds me when I see it.
Yankee women don't smile.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about midwesterners from Ohio or wherever (Jakki). This isn't about non-Southern women in general. I mean women from New Anywhere, USA, who refuse to smile. Now, maybe it's because I am Southern, but I just can't imagine looking at someone like this:
...when they tell me, "thank you," "excuse me," or "hi." This look is also the response to gestures such as holding a door open or, what seems to be the worst offender, smiling.
I'd love for someone to explain this phenomenon.
To be fair, I know this is not true of all yankee women. But, it seems that there is a group of them who want the rest of us to believe it is.

OK, I'll leave the snark behind now.
My third observation was that the Disney experience changes dramatically when you have small children. My first trip to the happiest place on earth was my honeymoon. I'm not going to lie; the It's a Small World made me want to jump out of the boat and swim out.
I loved it this time. Seeing the excitement and joy on my babies' faces when those creepy little robots started to sing, was pure pleasure. I would ride it with them a thousand times if they asked me to.

Last one:
$1.59 buys an entire bunch of bananas at Publix. It buys one single banana for a tasty breakfast at Disney World.

That's it.
It's almost time for Thanksgiving/Madeline's birthday/Christmas posts!

No comments: