April 11, 2012

Riding in Cars With Madeline

Some of my favorite conversations with Madeline take place in the car. She pipes up with the funniest things from way back there in her car seat. For instance, Sweet Pea will tell you she's hot when the sun is in her face, even if it's 30 degrees outside. We tell her that it isn't hot, but bright. So, this morning on the way to the library, she asked, "Mommy, are you hot?" I replied, "No, I'm not hot. Are you hot?" Without missing a beat, she said, "No, I not hot. I bright." :)

But, sometimes, the conversations aren't so much comical as thought-provoking. Have you ever tried to have a theological discussion with a two-year-old? I didn't think I would, either, until she started pointing out things we see while driving and saying, "God made cheez (trees)! God made fyowers! God made birds!" So, I respond with a smile and, "Yes, Sweet Pea. God did make those flowers!"

Today, the little darling melted my heart again when she said, "Mommy, I yove God." It surprised me a little at first, but then I remembered that in one of her bedtime story books, God Gave Us You, (I highly recommend this one, btw), the little polar bear declares that she loves God. I figured M was just imitating what we had read and so I gave her the same response the mother bear gives to the little bear, which was, "I know. I do, too." I figured that would be the end of it.
Instead, the conversation continued like this:
Madeline - "God yove me?"
Me- "Yes, Sweetie. God loves you very much."
Madeline - "God hold me?"

Hmmm. My two-year-old, a very affectionate and loving child, just asked me if God would hold her. Sweet Pea equates snuggling, holding, cuddling and the like with love. I can't imagine why. It's not like we've had our arms around her every chance we get since the minute she entered this world. ;)

So, how does one answer that question? What should I say? The truth?
Yes, Baby Girl. When your feelings are hurt and someone gives you a hug, that's God holding you. When your first crush likes another girl and your best friend says just the right thing at the right time to make everything feel better, that's God holding you.
When you're sick and you have the comfort of a warm bed and your favorite soup, that's God holding you.
When you have your own children and you look at their precious faces for the first time and feel more love than you ever knew existed, that's God holding you.
When something tragic happens, and it feels like your whole world has come to an end and the hurt just won't go away, but then you have that one small glimmer of hope that someday, you'll be ok again, that's God holding you.
When you feel the pure joy that comes with being compassionate and benevolent to those who need it, that's God holding you.

That's what I wanted to say. I didn't think she would get it. Not just yet.
So, I smiled my Mommy smile and simply said, "Always."

Sweet Pea smiled.

Maybe she does get it, after all.

No comments: