November 30, 2009

Metaphors

The wait is almost over. I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself, but a little sad, too. I have really enjoyed this experience, and I know how lucky I am to be able to say that. As much as I've complained abut the swollen feet and backaches, and as much as Dan is convinced that I have absolutely lost my mind and will never get it back, it has all been worth it. I love watching my belly move as she tries to get comfortable, and I adore having my little girl this close to me,  right under my heart.

I just realized that I've been blogging here since April about my pregnancy journey and anticipation of this wonderful blessing who is about to come into our lives, and I have not mentioned Sylvia Plath even once. What kind of English teacher lets something like that happen??

So, here it is - the poem that pretty much sums up the ninth month of waiting. And, don't worry. The only things going into my oven are chocolate chip cookies and cranberry muffins. :)

Enjoy!

Metaphors


I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.


Sylvia Plath

3 comments:

Cindy said...

It is so exciting just waiting day by day...........can't wait to see a picture of her cute little face!

Rachael said...

I had my share of complaints, too, but I think the one thing I remember crying over right at the end was that I couldn't always take care of her the same way on the outside as I could on the inside.

And then when she was born, I cried when she cried because I worried she was homesick.

I am so excited for you. Sometimes it sucks, but even when it sucks, you know it's awesome. Looking forward to meeting Miss Madeline and continuing to keep up with you both here!

Nancy M. said...

...baited breath...
(whatever that means, but that's how I'm waiting...)