August 12, 2009

Well, I think it's a good idea...

You know,  Madeline will be here in about four months. That's not very long at all! So, as we await her arrival (and because I have entirely too much time on  my idle hands) I've been doing some research on what's out there to help keep the baby girl healthy.

I've seen the normal baby food products in the grocery store - the spinach, squash, carrots, etc.  So, I have a question. Why are there no Southern baby foods?

Think about it: supper time for Dixie babies! Strained blackeyed peas, pureed collard greens (hamhock optional), and butterbeans in a jar. Before you make a face, does it really sound any nastier than mashed turnips? I'm not suggesting that we replace turkey & rice with 'possum & gravy, but I feel there is some regional cuisine that has been overlooked.

I figure, we're having a Southern baby so why not feed her Southern food? I don't have anything else to do with my time, so I would have all day to make the stuff. We could call it, "Supper Fer Yer Young'uns," or something catchy like that.

I suggested it to Dan. He was amused but not enthusiastic. Oh, well. It was just an idea.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Well...they do have sweet potatoes....isn't that southern? And stop making that face, they are good for you!
We use to make our baby food at least half the time. I have one of those little food processors and whatever was for dinner, baby got. However the thought of feeding baby okra is just plain nasty! Think you can get fried green tomatoes into a jar? I still have never tried them, send me a recipe and we will see if can do it justice!
Now if you want to market it all...why not! Do your research and watch "Baby Boom"...remember that one? LOL All that apple sauce?
In reality, gourmet baby food does sell and if you can market it all over the US and Canada...well, then Madeline will have university paid for out of baby food proceeds! Dan cannot argue that idea!

Rachael said...

THAT is brilliant.

I'd say I'd buy some, but since I'm making my own baby food, I'll just try it and tell you how it goes. LOL Consider Lilah your "test market"