August 25, 2009

Our Hopes for Madeline

I'll try to keep this short for now, but this, too, will be an ongoing list that I will revisit several times.

While perusing Facebook the other day, I was looking at a picture of a friend's little girl with her innocent face and mirthful grin. I thought, "I can't wait until we have kids of our own." Then, the realization set in that we are  going to have a kid of our own - in a little over three months. So, that moment of realization made me start thinking of how we want to raise her and what we hope she will be like. These are just a few of the hopes we have:

  • That she will know the love of Christ and the hope that comes with it, and enjoy her faith journey.

  • That she will look for the positive in every person and situation.

  • That she will experience genuine joy, not only at the major events in her life, but also in simple pleasures that we often overlook.

  • That she will love herself and know that she is loved, never feeling inadequate or  "less than."

  • That she will always follow her own path to happiness and fulfillment, without feeling pressured to do things because it's what WE want.

  • That she will see people for who they are, not what they look like. I really hope that when someone asks her what another person is like, it doesn't occur to her to list physical attributes and that she never uses the words, "fat" or "ugly" to describe another human being.

  • That she will have compassion for others - human and animal alike.

  • That she will have the confidence to speak her mind when she knows something is not right.

  • That she will make friends easily, and will not allow things like skin color, religion, or physical/mental abilities to be factors in her choice of friends.

  • That she will not be a picky eater, although that's not likely since both Mommy and Daddy are pretty persnickety.

  • That she will have a sense of humor and not take things so seriously that it keeps her from enjoying life.

  • That she will let her decisions be guided by her faith and common sense, rather than by the media.


I know, it's a long list and a lot to ask. (I told you I'm a compulsive list maker.) But, as long as this list is, I'm sure it will grow as we get closer to our due date, and will get even longer as she grows into the amazing person we know she will become.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

"Raise up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it".
You can only do your best as a parent and pray like the dickens. Just remember that there is a big Christian family out here that is supporting you, Dan and Madeline too. You aren't alone in raising this child, that is the joy of being in the family of God.
Oh and you are not the only parent to think, hope and worry about this stuff! I still do, everyday and have to continually hand it all over to the one who made my babies. After all, they are only on loan to me from God.
Hugs

Cindy Blake said...

This list is almost identical to the one I had for you when I was pregnant and just look how you turned out. :)