May 19, 2013

Bananarama

I usually don't talk about recipes on the blog, but I wanted to share this one because a) it's incredibly easy, and b) I was stunned at how much my kids loved it.

I won't share all my weird food issues with you, because frankly, I don't have the time and you probably don't have the attention span. However, I will say that I am really into the natural foods thing.
God gave us the foods we're supposed to be eating, and they weren't created in a lab. I don't care how much thinner I can be from eating "I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Food," I just don't think it's a great idea to feed my family "food" that is petroleum-based or contains the same ingredients as my shampoo and hand lotion.
I believe God knew what he was doing when creating healthy things for us to eat and when giving us the brain power to figure out how to make our own food (turning milk into cheese, for example). Have you even noticed that the "food" we humans create out of chemicals to make us healthier or to make us skinny, usually has long-term terrible effects on our bodies?
I won't lie to you and tell you that my family never, ever eats anything that is processed or contains artificial ingredients. We do. It happens. But, when I make meals and snacks for my family in my home, I prefer to keep it as natural as possible. This is why you won't be able to sweeten the coffee I make for you with anything that comes out of a pastel-colored packet. Sorry.

For that reason, I was pleasantly surprised to see an easy snack recipe show up on Disney Jr. as we watched Sophia the First the other night. It was so simple that I wondered if my kids would actually eat it.

1. Slice up a couple of bananas.
2. Put the slices in a freezer bag.
3. Stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
4. Use the food processor or hand mixer to blend until they're the consistency of frozen yogurt.
5. Tell your kids it's ice cream.

That's it!
Sweet Pea ate two bowls and Baby D licked his bowl clean.

A sweet, yummy, frozen treat that's nothing but good ol' bananas.

So, does anyone have any natural snack recipes that your kids just love, that you would like to share?

No comments: