December 14, 2012

Not Today

I had planned to write a post today about silly Christmas memories and how different the celebration seems now from when I was a child. Maybe next week.

But, not today.

Today, I think we all need to say a prayer - a real, heartfelt prayer and not the kind we say we're going to pray because it's the right thing to say, but then we never pray it - for those children in Connecticut who aren't going home from school today.
We need to lift our hand to the sky and, with tears of lament streaming down our faces, plead with our loving God to wrap his arms of comfort around the parents who hugged their babies for the last time this morning, without knowing that it would be the last time.
Do you realize that that school only goes up to fourth grade? None of those children had even had a double-digit birthday yet.

This is such a broken world. I won't be writing about my own Christmas memories today. I just want to love those who are suffering something that I cannot even imagine. Then, I want to hug my babies. I might not let them go until it's time for bed. Maybe not even then.

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
Loving God, be close to those who are brokenhearted today. Bring them the peace that only you can. We are broken, but you can mend us. Let us reach out to and remember our grieving brothers and sisters in your love.
Hear our prayer, O Lord.
Amen

No comments: