February 19, 2012

I Don't Get It.

It's a giraffe. It's made of rubber. It squeaks. It is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified dog toy.
It's required fare for the cool babies. Oh, you didn't know there was such a thing? Yep. Everybaby who's anybaby has these things in common: smocked and/or monogrammed outfits for every day of the week, and a Sophie Giraffe. Seriously, if you're a baby and you don't have one of these, the cool babies won't let you into their inner circle. I hear the E-Trade baby has a whole closet full, just in case he leaves one in the hotel when he's on tour.
We have one. No, our kids don't run with the snooty kids. It was a gift. David probably wouldn't have it if it hadn't been a gift. It's not that we don't want our kids to have the same toys as the babyclones. It's just that, well, at Barnes and Noble, this thing is $27.
I'll give you a moment to let that register...
Uh, huh. Twenty. Seven. Dollars. For a piece of rubber that squeaks. It's a (very) little cheaper at Babies R Us, but still.
Can someone explain this to me?? Why in the world is this thing upwards of twenty dollars?? It's a friggin' baby toy! He will slobber on it, spit up on it, and probably use it as a teether, which I think is the purpose of the overpriced bauble. So, what happens when he has all his teeth and forgets he has it?
It's adorable, yes, and I get that it's a great teether for some kids. Fine. It's still a $27 piece of squeaky rubber.
I don't get it.


2 comments:

Angela said...

We have one because I was in a BF support group and every kid had one and the Mom's swore by it. I did my research on Amazon (my source for all purchases) and those parents love it, too! Desperate to ease the pain of the first chompers, I tried it all then shoveled out the 20-ish bucks for this thing. Never went in her mouth, and she's squeaked it only once or twice. Biggest waste of $$$.

Anonymous said...

Lawson loved his when he was Davids age. He still chews on it occasionally to relieve teething pain. It was nice to have something he liked chewing on that wasn't ice cold and that I could throw in a diaper bag or that he could grab and hold onto really easily. I had no clue it was the "it" thing to have either. Actually, I almost gave ours to our dog before Lawson was born because it looked like a dog toy to me!
Whew, thank goodness I didn't do that!