July 20, 2011

Dear Weather Caster

Dear James Spann,

I'm OK with any other Alabama meteorologist reading this as well, but I trust you. Your predictions are usually spot-on. Even when I lived in Atlanta, I used to listen to your weather wisdom imparted via one of the Christian radio stations and I knew that I was in good hands. Plus, you are a fellow Tuscaloosan, so that gives you a little extra credit in my book.

Since you are such a skilled forecaster, I have a few requests for the remainder of the year and through spring of next year. I know I am asking a lot, but hear me out. My reasons are valid and just.

The school semester that begins in August is known as "fall" semester. This is true beginning in preschool and throughout all the years of higher education. Based on that fact, I would like for the actual season of fall to begin in August, just to make things less complicated. I want cooler weather, a good gust of wind once in a while, red and yellow leaves, pumpkins, the smell of cinnamon - the whole shebang - starting on the first day of school. It really bothers me that my beloved autumn only lasts for a few weeks and then is nothing but a distant memory for an entire year.



If you cannot arrange this, a dramatic drop in temperature would suffice. I just want it to be cool enough to take my child outside to play without worrying about heat exhaustion or drowning in her own sweat.

My second request is for some snow this winter. I know we got plenty of it last winter and I quite enjoyed it. However, I spent the entire week worrying about what was going to happen when we went back to school after the break. This year, since I will be home with my beautiful babies, I would like for them to have the experience of snowball fights and helping to build a snowman. I would also like to, myself, experience snow that goes all the way to my ankles (or higher). I've never seen snow like that and I think it would be awesome. Did I mention that snow is beautiful and would make such pretty pictures of my kiddies? (Note: I am fully aware that baby ___ will only be a few months old. I do not expect him to make a snowball, but he can watch.)

[caption id="attachment_1179" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Photo courtesy of my sister-in-law, Sara. Featured here are Dan's brother, Michael and Moose, the peek-a-poo."][/caption]

I do not, in any way, expect this snow to last more than a week. I would get tired of it by then.

As for the spring, if you don't mind, I would like for you to predict a longer season of beautifully mild weather, suitable for days at the park without sweat or bugs. My only request for this one is that it extend into May and last until the calendar officially announces that summer has begun.

Mr. Spann, I'm sure you can see that I have put a great deal of thought into this. Thank you for considering my requests. I hope you will take them into consideration, especially the one specific to autumn, and make some predictions we all can live with this year.

Thanks,

Madeline's & Hamish's Mom

P.S. If you can swing this, I promise to send you a baker's dozen of my famous red velvet doughnuts...when I invent them.

No comments: