June 15, 2013

Wishing Away These Stinking Dog Days

Here we are in mid-June, and I have only posted once this month. I apologize. It's just that, well, it's summer.
Technically, it's not even summer until next week, but it's still hotter than the eighth level of Dante's Inferno and it's no secret that this is NOT my favorite time of year.

For one thing, everything here in Birmingham that relates to small children, completely shuts down or goes on hiatus during the summer, so we're bored out of our minds. I mean, what do you do with a preschooler and a toddler if a) there's no preschool or MMO, b) there's no story time at the library, c) you have one kid who is terrified of the water and another who can't swim by herself, d) taking them outside will cause them to burst into flames, and e) you don't want to spend your entire life savings just to keep them occupied?

Whine, whine. Moms have done this since the beginning of time, right? I never said I wasn't spoiled.

For another thing, the heat and humidity make me...oh, what's the right word? Angry? Bitter? Grouchy? Crabby? Miserable? Yes, I think that just about covers it.

And, don't get me started on the wasps, bees, yellowjackets, ants, and gnats. It's like a Biblical pestilence every time I open the door.

That said, I apologize for not posting much this time of year. It's just a little cranky around here.

On a brighter note, we now have fewer than 100 days until autumn begins! (See countdown on the right.)
 Oh, my sweet autumn, with your colorful leaves, breezy, balmy weather, apple-cinnamon scented everything, visits to the pumpkin patch, hot chocolate with marshmallows, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and comfy boots. I miss you. I will even endure football season just to have you in my presence again.
Please come back to me.
I'll be waiting.

No comments: