February 14, 2013

Bah Humbug.

You're probably not surprised to hear that I'm not a celebrater of Valentine's Day.

I don't know why. I have no excuse. Maybe I got tired of delivering singing Valentines with my chorus class when I was fifteen. Or, it could be that I was never the recipient of said singing Valentines and I became resentful. Most likely, it's because this whole Valentine's Day thing is sweet and cutesy and sentimental. I don't do sweet, cutesy, or sentimental.

Usually, I dress in black in protest of the red and pink perkiness that everyone else seems to feel they have to drape over themselves today. But, hey, I did do something Valentine's Day-related today! I listened to "Heart-Shaped Box" on my way home from dropping off the kids at CASA! That counts, right?

It's another item on my list of stuff that, while I totally understand why other people enjoy it, it's just not my thing. Other things on that list include sports, country "music," and potato salad. I have another list, albeit a very short list, of things people enjoy of which I will never, ever be able to understand the appeal, like camping and the Jackass movies. (Seriously, what is wrong with those people??)

I think the kids are making me soft, though. This year I made pink pretzels for Sweet Pea's class party, made cute Valentines for each child's school friends, and am currently baking a cake which I will decorate with those stupid conversation hearts. What's happening to me????

Oh, I also got DWH a lovely Justin Bieber card. I'm not going to give it to him until after dinner, though, so don't tell him. I want it to be a surprise. ;)

I would like to acknowledge the good people of a local grocery chain, who like to make a mockery of Valentine's Day by doing this:

Is it me, or does that look like something from a horror movie?

Happy Valenties Day to those of you who love it, and for those who don't - well, you only have a few more hours and then you don't have to think about it for a whole year.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

Another reason we're sisters! We don't do Valentine's Day either - except for the kids. Picture of the steak cracked me up! And I don't camp, or do country music, or watch Jackass movies. I think we could be Valentines! :)