July 27, 2012

The Baffling Mind of a Toddler

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I'd like to observe that most toddlers, at least the toddlers I know, have a fear of things like ghosts, monsters, and the general creepy-crawly population. As any parent (I think) would, I often worry that Sweet Pea's young sensibilities are going to be frightened when we begin to watch certain things on TV or read particular books. You never really know what little kids are going to fear. I, for instance, was afraid of The Incredible Hulk, The Secret of NIMH, and my great-grandfather's feet. (Don't ask. Just read.)

So, you can imagine my surprise when M saw a commercial for Sesame Street and went nuts. She was tearfully pleading for me to change the channel. Now, she loves Sesame Street books, toys, and the like, but seems to be terrified of the actual show.

What makes this even more strange is that the kid will happily watch any of the Harry Potter movies, has been in the room with Pirates of the Caribbean without complaining, and would watch The Princess and the Frog and Sleeping Beauty, which both have some pretty sinister villains, over and over again if I would let her.

Just to make this clear, and perhaps you can help me to understand it a little better, here is what we have concluded:

Scary.

Not scary.

Scary.

Not scary.

Scary.

Not scary.

Are you as baffled as I am?

No comments: