April 28, 2011

Words

There are none.

I know I haven't made an Easter post yet. I will.

Right now, I want to solicit prayers for everyone who lives in my home town. In case you missed it - and I doubt that - certain areas in Tuscaloosa were demolished by a tornado yesterday evening.

A public housing unit near where we lived when I was a kid, which housed hundreds of needy families, is now nothing more than a pile of trash with some overturned cars. Where are they supposed to go?

Restaurants where I used to eat, stores where I used to shop, and neighborhoods where I used to visit are all gone. It narrowly missed my mother's neighborhood.

I don't know why I'm taking this so hard. I guess it's because that was the place I called home for most of my life and I can't imagine it without H & W Drug store or Krispy Kreme on 15th Street or the gas station you go to between paychecks because it's creepy, but cheap. None of those places are there anymore. Weird.

As of a couple of hours ago, the death toll in Alabama was 160+. I know those families would appreciate your prayers.

No comments: