November 21, 2010

Thankfulness, Part 1

I know that a lot of people have been counting down this month by giving thanks for something every day. I'm a little behind everyone else, but better late than never, right? :)

I truly am grateful for so much. I have more than I deserve and I have no one but God to thank for that. Here are my top three for today:

1. I am emphatically thankful for my husband. I know I've said this a million times, but you're just going to have to endure it a million one. There has never been a more wonderful husband to any woman. I can't imagine anything any woman could say about her husband that would convince me otherwise. He is honest, affectionate, and supportive. I have a little secret to confess - I'm no picnic to live with. But, even with my moodiness, insecurities, and my dreams about a war between the Muppets and the Monsters on Sesame Street, he stands by me. He works tirelessly to make sure that Madeline and I have everything we need and when I get so tired or stressed that I can't do it anymore, he jumps in and makes sure everything falls into place. I know that he is the man God sent to me, without a doubt.

2. I am thankful for that beautiful, amazing little girl we call Madeline. We also call her Sweet Pea, Babyhead, Chick Pea, Little Chicken, and sometimes, Stinky Booty. Yes, she's cute and cuddly and cracks me up when she laughs so hard her face turns red. But, it's so much deeper than that. I never knew I could love this much. It's amazing to me that someone so little, who has been in this world for such a short time, could have grown and learned so much. Last year at this time, she was still trying to claw her way out through my rib cage. Then, she was so small and helpless. Now, she feeds herself cheese and crackers and tells me, "Nu" when I tell her to bring Mommy the ball. She knows who I am and who Dan is, and calls us by our respective titles. She sees babies and pictures of babies and exclaims, "Day-Deeeee!" (Baby, in case you needed that translation.) It's not just the words she says. She inspires me to be the best mother I can be. Just fine is not good enough for her. I want her to have the best. I adore her. I thank Almighty God for creating her and letting us raise her for Him.

3. I'm thankful to have a roof over my head. You know, God didn't have to choose for me to be born in America with two parents who love me and worked to ensure that I had a home. It's a luxury that more people than we realize cannot afford, all over the globe. Every day of my life, I take it for granted. I whine that my bedroom furniture isn't as nice as my neighbor's, when there are millions who don't have a bedroom to put furniture in. I complain about how few nice clothes there are in my closet, when I should be thanking God that I even have a closet. I did nothing to earn what I have. It's only by the grace of God that I'm not sleeping on the dirty ground in a dangerous place, rather than a warm bed in a nice house.

Thank you, LORD, for all that you provide. Forgive me for assuming that I deserve it. Please send your comfort to those who have less, and especially those who have nothing. Help me to remember them in my prayers and in my giving. Amen.

No comments: