July 4, 2010

Because I Have a Daughter, Part 4

Because I have a daughter, I want her to know what it's like to be a citizen of this great country.

Madeline can be anything she wants to be. She can vote without fear of being attacked on her way to the polls. She does not have to hide behind a veil. When she grows up, she can marry any man she loves, or stay single if she chooses. She can have as many or as few children as she wants.

 She can walk into any house of worship she chooses and praise God in a way that feels right in her own heart. Not only that, but if she decides that God has called her to the pulpit of a church to lead His flock, she can do it. Madeline can pursue her education to her heart's content. If she wants to be an engineer, a brain surgeon, the owner of her own company, or if she wants to run for President of the USA, that's her prerogative. She does not need anyone's permission.

I'd like for her to know that there is nothing she can't do.

Today, I want my daughter to know how blessed she is to be an American.

No comments: