January 4, 2010

One Month Old and Some Random Thoughts

Can you believe our Babyhead is a whole month old today? No, really! She is! She's doing all sorts of neat things these days, like holding up her head, "talking" to us with her cute little baby sounds, and even occasionally smiling. She's outgrown her newborn clothes and has moved up a diaper size.

Here's a question: um, who said she could get bigger? Where did I sign up for that? Yes, I want her to grow and learn and meet all her milestones. But, can't she do that while remaining a chubby-cheeked, 7 pound ball of sleepy cuteness?

And now, some random thoughts:

If I had to choose a title for this segment, it would probably be something along the lines of, "Confessions: Why I Deserve the Bad Mommy Award."

Random Thought #1: I have committed two cardinal sins that make me a pediatrician's nightmare and qualify me as the world's worst mommy. This is not for the faint of heart, so if you are prone to getting the vapors, please stop reading now.

First, I put baby powder on my child. Yes, I did. I admit it. She kept getting diaper rashes and I couldn't stand to see her little bottom all red and irritated, so I did it. I recklessly sprinkled white powder on my little girl.

Second, when Madeline fell asleep during tummy time, I let her sleep - ON HER TUMMY! (gasp!) I didn't even wake her up and move her to her crib so that she could sleep on her back upon the world's firmest mattress. Of course, there's a blanket in her crib, too, but that's a confession for another time.

Random thought #2: Certain things happen when you wait until you're 32 to have a child, but you had pets for 31 years before that.

Do you know how hard it is to break the habit of sharing bits of your food with small creatures who are dependent on you? The baby, apparently, does not want the remnants of my egg sandwich. Neither do I have to worry about putting my coffee cup in a place that makes it easy for her to start lapping at the coffee before I'm finished. 

These are things with which I have come to terms. However, there is one habit that seems impossible to break. I still cannot convince myself that if I pick up her rattle and it makes noise, she is not going to come running and expect me to throw it. This makes clean-up time much more convenient since there are fewer distractions.

I can't wait to see what the months ahead bring!!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

It is amazing how they grow up so fast. As much as you love this stage, it get even better.
It is also amazing the list of "don'ts" out there when you realize that when we were babies it was all okay....we all turned out normal (to some degree). All the things you should not do now will be the right way in another five years! Go figure!

Nancy M. said...

That's right Cindy! Can you believe we survived w/o CAR SEATS?? I remember laying down on the back seat w/ my head on my mom's lap during car trips. I also sat in the front seat! What were we thinking in the 60's???

But there will come a time, in the not to distant future, Heather, when Madeline will want some of your sandwich, & you will have to watch out where you put your coffee cup... And she will go chasing after her toys if you throw them, and will basically run ... everywhere. But wait a couple yrs for that last one. 2 y/o's have 2 speeds... run & sleep. That goes along w/ their two volumes... scream & sleep. LOL

Rachael said...

Wait - so why do they call it baby powder if it's not meant to go on the baby? Lilah's been getting hefty doses for the past 12 months and I can't for the life of me tell that this is a problem. I seriously didn't know you weren't supposed to. :-)

Also...this is big...lilahhasalwaysbeenastomachsleeperevenwhenshewassmallandshewashappyandgoodandsoilether!

:-)