June 19, 2014

Tie a String Around My Finger, Part 2

There's a movie, and I'm sorry but I don't remember the title, in which Sarah Jessica Parker's character says something to the effect of this: If you want to know how it feels to be a superhero, all you need is to be the mom of a two-year-old boy.


I could not have said it better myself.


And, I might need reminders one day that, when he was two, my Little Buddy was my best little buddy in the whole wide world.


I will want to remember the sweet way he flashed his gap-toothed grin whenever he laid eyes on his mom. I'm going to smile when I remember the time we ate lunch at McAlister's and he spilled some applesauce on my arm, and immediately grabbed a napkin so he could clean off my arm for me. I will remember how he warmed my heart every time he would hug me from behind when I sat on the floor, the way he saw his Daddy hug me in the kitchen.


I want to have a picture in my mind of the sweetest boy in the world, hauling around his blue pillow with the whale on it with one hand, while sucking the middle two fingers on the other.


When he gets older and his voice deepens, I want a clear auditory memory of his toddler voice, calling his sister, his hero, to come and play with him. I'd like to remember how he loved dinosaurs, rocket ships, and robots (is there a future scientist in our midst??) and how he switched loyalties from Batman to Spiderman in an instant. I hope I can always hear him saying, " 'Ook, Mom! It's Dark Bader!"


What a wonderfully thoughtful, intelligent, loving little boy.


He, too, will someday want to borrow the car and will eventually drive it away. But, right now, in 2014, when my Little Buddy is two, I get to be his SuperMom.


Who could ask for anything more?

No comments: