May 1, 2009

Old Wives' Tales

I've always thought Old Wives' Tales were interesting. Grandma always told me that if I wore a ring on my wedding ring finger, I would never get married.  So, I didn't!  Don't get me wrong - I don't believe that turning my pockets inside out will ward off the bad luck from hearing a hoot owl at night. I'm not crazy.

Last night, we thought it would be fun to see what the wives of old said about whether we'll have a boy or a girl. Here's what we found:

It's a boy if:

  • You didn't experience morning sickness all day  (Just around lunch time)

  • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute  (Nope. 150.)

  • You are craving salty or sour foods  (Definitely not!)

  • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese  (Blech!)

  • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy (Nope.)

  • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy (Don't think so.)

  • Your hands are very dry (Uh-uh.)

  • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever  (Um, have you seen my hair? NO!)

  • Your nose is spreading  (I've always had a big nose. How could I tell?)

  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves back and forth  (Haven't tried this one yet.)

  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number  (Jakki said this one should be an odd number for a boy.)


It's a girl if:

  • You had morning sickness all day

  • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute 

  • You are craving fruit  (Can't get enough!!!)

  • You crave orange juice  (Oooooh, yeah.)

  • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy (Again - the hair.)

  • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy   (I didn't know if it was possible, but I actually AM moodier. Poor Dan!)

  • Your face breaks out more than usual   (Yep. I look like a mutant.)

  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread  (Bread is bread.)

  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles

  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number (That's not what Jakki said!)


Obviously, there are some discrepancies here. I guess we'll just have to see what the doctor says in a couple of months, huh?  I'm so impatient...

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh wow....Ethan is really a girl then?! LOL
The ring over the belly worked for both of them but I was about six months when we tried it.

Cindy Blake said...

Okay according to this, you should be a boy Heather!

pregnancy said...

Then I think I have girl :D
Thank you for sharing story with us .. :D

Kate Malarney said...

Congratulations Heather! I am really excited for you and Dan! When I was pregnant with Gabe, the ring trick actually worked! I have to admit my skin looked the best it's ever looked and I was only sick in the evenings. I'm not sure about all the other things though! Either way, your baby will be a blessing and will be blessed to have you for his or her mommy! Hope you are feeling good!

headsupbaby said...

Hi, Kate! Thanks for the sweet comments and well-wishes! :)